So today is my last day of work. It is bitter sweet, mostly sweet, like 95% sweet because as most of you know my job was draining me, but it is like 5% sad because I think one of my callings is to help those in need- and people trying to quit smoking are absolutely in need. I wanted to write about my job so I don't just look back on it as the soul-sucking job that wore me out.
I started August of 2007 at American Cancer Society where I worked with an awesome group of people. It was super social, nearly everyone in my same boat- mid twenties with a psychology degree just trying to figure out what we wanted to do with our lives (and what seems to be a relatively useless degree). When I first started we had lots of free time so it was a lot like sitting around for 8 hours with a bunch of friends. We would just hang out, take long walks around the building, scope out who was having the best pot lucks in the building and crash their party. I made some really good friends that I plan on keeping around for a very long time (Yes, I am talking to you, Kim, Dinah, and John) Then things started to pick up, not as much free time, I began working from home. Working from home is amazing. I mean, come on, no make-up, no shower, no problem. I was in slob heaven. But it was really hard to go from a super social environment to my only social outlet during the day was Molly, and although she is cute, she's not so good with carrying a conversation.
So then I got the phone call that while I was on vacation in Las Vegas in 2009 there was a big fancy meeting to tell everyone ACS Quitline was no more and we would all be laid off. Yikes. We had an opportunity to interview with our competitor company who had basically bought us out. So I got a job doing the exact same thing for a company called Free and Clear based out of Seattle. Yeah for not being unemployed!
So I've been with Free and Clear now for nearly 2 years. It is a business, and the difference in working for a business and a non-profit company are very clear. It is very numbers-driven and a big focus of productivity and my little bleeding heart just simply doesn't do so hot in that environment. That is why I haven't been very passionate about my job for a while and it's been really hard to stick with it this long.
So I have been writing this all through today and now I have 30 minutes left of my shift. I probably could squeeze in one more call but the last lady I spoke with was great. Our main focus of the call was talking about she had quit smoking and not because the medication she was on. Building her confidence up so she could remain smoke free after she stopped using the medication. She ended the call by saying "This was a great session." For those that work in any kind of social work field you know it's not often you get that kind of positive reinforcement so I think I am going to end my coaching career remembering that and not some of the less positive (okay, I will say it, down right mean and nasty) clients I get to deal with.
Yeaaa for having a job I met amazing friends, could work from home, help people, but most importantly my heart is swollen with happiness that we have work and planned and God has blessed us so that my job is now going to be to take care of my daughter.
I am SO jealous about your new job! Treasure every day and know that there are others out there who aren't so fortunate.
ReplyDeleteI've always been impressed about your old job. Kind of like nurses, it takes a special person to be counselors! I know that you blessed many people with your kindness and God's love!
I am so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you!! And so glad that your last session was a good one, what a great way to go out! I hope you guys had one heck of a celebration last night!
ReplyDelete