Monday, November 8, 2010

I pull the what out of the what?

I love soup. Not like- love. I knew with the cooler weather finally coming there was going to be some serious soup action in the kitchen. So, I decided to make chicken broth since it is way cheaper, healthier, and yummier to make from scratch. Every time I've made it has been with my mom and she does the "eww-ky" parts. I've been in "treatment" for my fear/disgust of raw meat for years now. My mom and Andy are sweet and always cooked meat for me in college so I would have little containers of ground beef or diced chicken in my freezer-I know right? How nice are they and how spoiled was I? So slowly I started cooking meat, I would use use those huge yellow dish gloves and disinfect everything like 4 times afterwards, but hey...better safe than sorry right? So, needless to say, I was intimidated about this. So instead of attempting to capture this traumatizing experience in words, which I couldn't not do the disgustingness of it justice, I took a few pictures along the way..

Cute little chicken all wrapped up in their plastic

At this point I was gross out, wondering exactly what I was about to stick my hand into....


As I have my hand inside the chicken I start imagining something chopping down on my hand and get myself even more freaked out. Then when I pull out God-only-knows what and it's this brown color that I was totally not expecting I screamed. The girl who get annoyed when people screams- screamed. Yeah, how lame am I? But look how gross that junk I pulled out is! UGH.

Ahhhhh.....in the pot, where it belongs, not on my counters or worse, around my wrist...

So I even though the gross part was over, picking all the chicken off the bone was kinda gross too, but again, I'm a weenie.

So after I got all the meat off, I threw the carcass back in to cook for a few more hours. PS. The word carcass should never be used in cooking. Blech.

So then it sat in the fridge for a day or so all the fat could solidify at the top and I could scrape it off. Again, gross.

Yea! All the stomach turning icky moments are worth when I got myself 24 cups of grade A broth! What what! Look out soup pot- you are about to get some serious use!

No comments:

Post a Comment